Monday, July 20, 2009

Cabrera Holds the Key

By Neal Ruhl

“Real Deal” Bloggin’ Dirty

For all the questions about what left-handed bat or pitching help are the Tigers going to get at the trade deadline, in my mind, Miguel Cabrera is the one that holds the key to the Tiger’s chances of winning the American League “Comedy Central” (thanks to my friend Matt Dery for that one!).

I know, I know. I’ll say it for you- “but Miggy’s hitting .320 with 18 bombs and 50 RBI Real Deal! He’s not the problem!”

At first glance I agree, but after looking a bit further, I have some interesting thoughts.

If everyone wants to put Cabrera in that elite, “Albert Pujols” class, my question is when is he going to take over and dominate in stretches like Albert Pujols does?

I know, I know. I’ll say it for you- “but the people batting in front of Miggy are having a bad year. What is he supposed to do?”

Let me ask you this, who hits in front of Albert Pujols? Quick! Name ‘em…too late. Whoever it is, I can promise you one of them is not an All-Star (as fraudulent as that is), or the MVP of the 2006 ALCS.

My point is this: We all hold Cabrera in a “one of the elite in the game” category. When is he going to start producing like one? I know it’s tough to criticize the numbers, but when is going to dominate where he puts the team on his back and hits seven or eight home runs and drives in 15 in a 10 game stretch?

The “Real Deal” is this: For all the pomp and circumstance, and all the numbers Cabrera has put up since he’s got here, the most interesting number he has put up to me is 0. That is the number of times he has represented the Detroit Tigers in the All-Star game. I didn’t make that up folks, that’s a fact. It’s time for Cabrera to step up and put this team on his back and dominate the way everyone says he can. If he can’t, the Tigers have no shot at going to the playoffs.

QUICK READS…

It was'nt a surprise to me that Tom Watson didnt win the British Open but I was pulling for him. That would had been one of the top 10 sports stories in the last ten years…Charlie Manuel should have been named MVP of the All-Star game for the American League for not bringing in a lefty to pitch to Curtis Granderson, who ultimately scored the running run after getting a 3B off of Padre’s closer Heath Bell. Hey Chuck, Granderson hits .194 off lefties, it’d be a shame if your own ineptitude cost your team in the World Series huh?...Listen to “The Real Deal on Sports” Thursdays from 11-1PM on 88.3 FM WXOU or Wxou.org…