Friday, June 26, 2009

If you liked the Daye pick "You Are Not Alone"

By Neal Ruhl

Real Deal Bloggin’ Dirty…

Let me set this straight right off the bat…for all of those people who said the Pistons dropped the ball by not drafting Ty Lawson (and judging by the calls into local sports radio, there are a lot of you), the fact that the Denver Nuggets traded to get Lawson to BACK UP Chauncey Billups tells you all you needed to know about him.


This happens with every draft all the time. Just because you saw Ty Lawson and Dejuan Blair and everyone else in the NCAA Tournament, you think you have some inkling about how good that player is because you saw him. Before you bash Joe Dumars's selection of Austin Daye with the 15th pick in the NBA Draft Thursday night, I will ask you this question: who did you want them to take?


Let me make this statement and please try to wrap your head around this: Ty Lawson and Will Bynum are the same player in the NBA. They are both borderline, fringe players that are far from the elite. The NBA Draft is always the same. Once you get past the top four or five picks, the players are all pretty much the same and how good they are depends on the situation they are dropped into.

I agree in some fashion with some of the people that criticize the Daye pick from the standpoint he is 6-10 and only 190 pounds, but he does have a skill set that includes being able to make shots. Is he a project? Yes. Was there anything better? Right now, I would say no.

The “Real Deal”
I wanted to take a minute to speak on the passing of pop icon Michael Jackson. I was, and still am, a big fan of his music. Would I want him to babysit my children? No way. Do I like it when his songs come on at a wedding? Absolutely.

The “Real Deal” is this: you can say whatever you want about his character and all of that, but watching his videos over the last 24 hours, I am reminded about all he did for hunger in Africa. I always see those images and feel bad and think about how I should help do something about it. But then I forget about it and go about my day. Jackson actually did something about it. I guess in some strange way, I could learn a lesson in character from him and his life, as strange as that sounds.

How about you? Be honest…


You can hear more of my opinions on the Pistons and other Detroit area sports teams, on "The Real Deal on Sports" Thursdays from 11 to 1 pm on 88.3 fm Auburn Hills and streaming live at WXOU.ORG.